Saturday, October 13, 2007

Weekend in

I recently noticed that I've been posting almost exclusively about my weekend *ahem* adventures, and I'm sure you're expecting another ridiculously long post re-capping yet another crazy weekend in Tokyo.

However, this post will be different. Mainly because I've been afflicted with "かぜ" which has severely restricted my social life. It's not a big deal (it's just a cold), but in an attempt to avoid having to take sick leave (and being worried over by my co-workers when I go back to school), I've essentially remained in my apartment for the entire weekend with the exception of Friday night and a quick trip to the library and grocery store.

Okay, so maybe I did go into Tokyo on Friday night. We went into Ebisu to celebrate Dan's birthday. It turned into a big headache for him because people started cancelling (4 people in 30mins) and we had reservations at a small Lebanese restaurant. Then we showed up late because people came late. Ultimately, the food was good, the company was random, and I left early (10:30) because I could feel the cold starting to hit me and I didn't think staying out all night was the best thing for my health.

So if you know me and my trends in health, I get really cranky right before I get sick. True to past experience, I've been in a terrible mood since Tuesday. Unfortunately, Dan has felt the heat of if because I complain to him when he comes over to use my computer/internet (I believe he tunes me out which is for the best).

Speaking of Dan, apparently one of my co-workers (and possibly the education center people) thinks we're dating. Amusing, yes, but not a rumor I want spreading around. It's just annoying that a guy and a girl can't be good friends without people thinking they're dating. (Ironically this happened the last time I was in Japan too.)


Anyway, on a completely unrelated note, a guy who works at city hall in the education department texted me yesterday asking if he could stop by my apartment and drop off presents for the AETs. Let me give you some background on this guy. He's a 40 year old married guy who looks like he's in his early thirties. He swims every morning with my friend from TIU (which is why we exchanged phone numbers). His favorite singer is Wada Akiko (who is also Dan's favorite). So, he rode up to my apartment building on his motorcycle, pulled out a pile of military olive green shirts with white kanji and a white and gold star and laurel design. He said something about accidentally ordering too many, so he thought he would give them to the AETs. I asked what they said, and the only words I understood were "日本(Japan)," ”アメリカ(America)," and "戦争(war)." He accompanied his explanation with the motion of holding (but not firing) a gun. He then pulled out a photo of about 10 guys standing on a ship. He pointed out one particularly intimidating man and said that he is the leader and he loves memorabilia from the war. Next he showed me a catalog with tons of WWII replicas of uniforms, mess kits, etc. I still don't know what the shirts mean, but I've decided never to wear mine out of the house.

No comments: