Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Saitama-east

I've realized that I would both save money and generally be much happier if I lived on the other side of the prefecture. This is evident through the fact that I spent over $100 traveling to and from that area in the past two weeks. I've landed within reasonable traveling distance of three groups of friends, but not near any of them. My closest English speaking friend is 30 minutes away. Anyway, I'm not one to complain and do nothing if I can help it, so I've been bolder about traveling for over an hour on some occasions to see friends.

Meanwhile, I'm still studying for the JLPT. I know my Japanese has improved since I've really started studying, but I'm still far behind the level I need to be at to pass. I've been testing at about 50%, while I need 60% to pass (my 70% listening improves my 45% grammar and reading). Almost everyone has told me the reading part is the hardest, so I've been working on my reading speed. I wouldn't say it's going well, but hopefully I'll kick it up to about 50% to at least give myself a chance at passing.

I went up to Kiryu with Emma, Chris, and Koichi this weekend. It was fabulous. We went to a concert on Sunday, hosted by the ever-energetic Annie, then had Indian food for dinner before I passed out around 11. On Monday we hiked up this mountain (Emma insists it's only a hill). What do you think? It started raining on the way down, but an onsen (hot spring) was waiting for us at the bottom, so it wasn't so bad.

No comments: