Friday, January 4, 2008

あけましておめでとう!

Happy New Year!

I'm now re-settled in to my apartment in Japan.  I've hooked up my new printer, Region 1 (America) DVD player, and thrown out the forgotten food in my refrigerator.  Furthermore, I gave my apartment a good Japanese-style scrub down (meaning I wiped down the wood floor with a "floor towel" and vacuumed the tatami because I'm not quite sure how else to clean it).  Unfortunately, my washing machine hates me and makes evil beeping noises anytime I try to run it.  Therefore, I did laundry in my bathtub and hung it outside to dry in the sunny yet cold outdoors.  (but enough about chores in my apartment...)

On New Year's Eve we planned to stay out in Tokyo all night.  First we played some pool, then ventured to an izakaya for some food.  Around that time I was hit by a bad case of dizzies (I promise, I only had two drinks at this point so it wasn't inebriation).  Thus it was decided to cut the evening short, however pool and dinner isn't exactly a spectacular New Year's Eve, so we made one more stop before heading home.  The bar we chose was small and cozy in that familiar sort of way and the playlist seemed to be from Greatest Hits of the 1980s.  The bartender was friendly and insisted on responding to our "ありがとう" (thank you) with "you're welcome."  After a complimentary bowl of good luck soba and 4500 yen (for 4 shots, 4 beers, a gin tonic, and a cassius orange), we finally went home.  Unfortunately we missed the second to last train, so midnight was celebrated on the Kawagoe JR train platform.  Regardless, and although the dizzies accompanied me for 90% of the night, this was one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever had.  

In true Japanese fashion (so I've heard), we went to an onsen on New Year's Day to wash away 2007.  Two of Dan's friends visited from the U.S., so I got to show off my *ahem* expertise in the usage of an onsen.  I think it says quite a lot that I've not only become comfortable enough to bathe next to my co-workers and complete strangers, but next to a girl who has never enjoyed the onsen experience before.

Dan's friends left yesterday, and (almost) everything has returned to normal in Hidaka.  Kristine's friend from college is visiting, and Zac hasn't returned from his vacation, but Kaz and I spent some quality time in the 教育センター (education center). I updated my new computer, he read a book, and we parroted ”あけましておめでとう” (Happy New Year) to the 20 or so people who stopped by merely to wish the office a Happy New Year.  

Lastly, I'm currently bicycle-less.  It disappeared from the station's bicycle parking lot without a trace.  With any luck, they'll buy me a new one. *fingers crossed*

No comments: