Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 2008





Forgive me, I’ve been extremely lax in updating this in the past few weeks.  I would say I’ve been busy, but that’s not really the case.

My trip up to Sapporo was amazing.  I’ve never seen so much snow in my life (that I was old enough to remember).  We walked around Odori park and saw well over a hundred “little” snow sculptures  (about 1m3) as well as about 10 really large snow displays including a slide, a snowboard/ski ramp, stages, and a promo for Prince Caspian (due out this summer).  We also saw a Bailey’s ice bar, some fish frozen in ice, and a lot of really stupid foreigners.  A highlight:

 Two visibly intoxicated white guys with open cans of beer in their hands point at a hand-held sign advertising a strip club and say “Where?  Where?”  The Japanese guy holding the sign looks a little startled and replies, “Japanese only.”  I don’t think that’s true, but if I were that guy, I wouldn’t want them in my club either.

We also went to the 2009 Toyota Big Air competition.  It was pretty cool to see professionals doing crazy flips and turns on a snowboard, but I’ve never been colder in my life (that I was old enough to remember).  Looking back on it, I’d do it again, I’d just wear a couple extra pairs of socks.

Since I’ve been back in Saitama, things have been pretty relaxing.  Two weekends ago, I went out to Harajuku for a friend’s birthday party.  I decided earlier that I wasn’t going to stay out all night since I was tired, so it was imperative that I catch the 11:30 train from Ikebukuro.  Due to an almost comical amount of mix-ups, I arrived in Ikebukuro at 11:31.  Luckily, a friend of mine who lives near Ikebukuro was still awake, and I slept on the couch in his apartment.

Yes, I said his.  At school on Monday, I always talk with my co-workers about what we did the previous weekend (good English practice).  I was very careful to say “their” and “they” when referring to my friend since guys and girls who sleep in the same apartment are generally considered to be dating/hooking up.  However, I slipped when talking to the art teacher at my school.  Of course, he caught it and started giggling (seriously).  It was then I knew I was doomed.  Then, he said, between giggles, “You naughty?  Nasty things?”  Alternately hilarious and horrifying (he is a 60 year old art teacher who likes Amy Winehouse and Fergie although he can’t understand what they’re saying).  I emphasized that we were only friends and I slept on the couch, but he already made up his mind. 

In other news, we have a new AET in Hidaka.  He’s working at Koma since Zac left.  He’s American, been studying Japanese (mostly) on his own for five years, and has a brother who married a Japanese woman and lives in Japan.  It’s weird not having Zac around anymore, but I guess it’s sort of preparing me for when Dan leaves in July. 

Speaking of the summer, I’m officially staying for another year.  I even have the official papers (in Japanese and English).  It’s nice knowing that I have another year to improve my Japanese and get another year of classroom experience under my belt.  The girls are all staying and the boys are all leaving.  Jenny and I both are requesting to stay at our respective schools, but Kristine wants to switch.  I really hope I get along well with the new AETs.  Jenny and Kristine are great, but we don’t hang out much.


I cleaned my apartment this weekend.  It was awesome and sorely needed.  

No comments: