Sunday, March 9, 2008

Children's home, soccer practice, belly-dancing, hanami, and more quality George time

Okay, so I need to update more often.  I was flipping through my photos and I realized I have not just one or two events to update you all on, but five.  Bad me.



A few weeks ago (mid-February) a group of us went to a home for children who have no parents.  It was a lot of fun.  I wanted to steal this child, but I managed to resist.  As you can tell by the other photo we tore it up (literally) and made valentine's day cards.  Quite a few people, Liz included, were afflicted with "シール病気" (sticker illness).
Last weekend was Dasai soccer practice.  The Saitama JETs get together ever other week (weather permitting) and play soccer in preparation for the big tournament in Nagano in June.  We played for about 3 hours, and I shocked myself at how much I remembered from high school.  However, I'm not quite as in shape as I was back then (the next day my JTE asked me why I was walking like an old woman).  
Friday night was excellent as well.  My friend Kara is an amazing belly dancer and she performed in a cozy little restaurant in Omiya.  The group consisted of a bunch of people I kinda knew, but not really, so it was fun to essentially get to know other JETs that I hadn't
 really talked to before.  The main exception was Albert.  Unfortunately, he had to leave early so we made plans to meet up the next day.

Saturday, lunch with Albert.  In true Tokyo fashion, we rejected Japanese food and ate at TGIF.  That reminds me, last last Friday, I went out with Liz, her friend from Australia, and a bunch of JETs.  Unfortunately, I got there late so I didn't eat anything.  I think that may have been a factor in our decision to eat there.  We met up with his hot other half for another meal (btw, they're really cute together.  Just thought I'd share).  We talked about Little Mermaid on broadway and Wicked.  I was a happy person.  Anyway, they went back to work and Albert and I ended up wandering around Yoyogi park where we stumbled upon some cherry blossoms.  We also saw some jugglers, tap dancers, and a lot of couples playing with those velcro ball things that you catch on paddles that are strapped to your hand.

After an extensive search for a tie rack in Tokyu Hands, I made my way up to Omiya for more quality time at the George.  Let me back up a week.  At soccer practice, I talked with Anna and her boyfriend (two more of the elusive "I know who you are, but I don't think I've ever actually talked to you" people), and as a result, she invited me to her birthday celebration the following week.  Okay, back to this weekend.  As it was her birthday, we all ensured there was always a drink in front of her.  However, she got back at us all by guilting us into drinking to keep up.  Luckily for me, everyone else went to the station at the same time.  I ended up catching a taxi home from my station (instead of riding my bike) and I managed to somehow rip the zipper off my jeans (Don't ask me how.  Or where the zipper is).  I also had a 50 minute long phone conversation with a roomful of drunk guys who were playing poker.  It was during this conversation that I learned that the recontracting conference in May has been cancelled.  I'm very disappointed.  :(

Which brings me to today.  As my favorite Sundays usually go, I slept in (with my bottle of water close at hand), watched a bunch of TV, and cleaned.  I think I really need to talk with my supervisor about the paint in my apartment, because the beige paint is chipping and somehow dripping purple down the walls of my bath room.  I think that's a bad sign.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See Here or Here