Thursday, August 30, 2007

AET コーナー

Today I find myself sitting almost entirely alone in a staff room intended for over 30 people. My big project for the past few days at school has been to construct my AETコーナー(AET Corner), which is essentially a big bulletin board. My initial plan, however, was foiled when I learned that the board had to be educational and somehow related to my self-introduction. Essentially, now it looks like something out of a child`s picture book complete with complex English words such as “sun” and “flower.” Okay, so really it`s not that bad, but there`s a reason why I haven`t taken an art class since middle school and it shows. (on a semi-related note, I got into a long discussion with the school`s art teacher about art and, subsequently, my lack of knowledge/skill in art. Did I mention that the two people I spend the most time with were both art majors?)It`s just been frustrating because I think it looks fine as it is and two people have said to me “お疲れ様でした” (otsukaresamadeshita: a set phrase usually reserved for the end of the day meaning something along the lines of the respected person who is tired (because they worked hard to do something)).

The school`s band is playing selections of John Williams` music. There`s nothing quite like walking down a hallway and hearing Darth Vader music played by junior high kids on the French horn.

Anyway, rather dangerously, I have figured out how to call internationally from my apartment. As a result, I may have called a number of people at a time when they were asleep (and woke up at least one person). Whoops. Nevertheless, it sucks that I don`t have my American cell phone, since I only have a few random phone numbers in my address book.

Our first payday is in less than a week and I`m really excited. No, I`m not going to a host bar to spend all my money (although some debauchery in Tokyo is planned). I`m excited about furniture shopping. My apartment is in a wonderful state of empty space (which anyone who saw my room in DG or in Hawaii can attest is something I`m not used to.) My kitchen contains a sink, stove, counterspace, refrigerator, dining table, two chairs, large cabinet, and a smaller rolling cabinet thing. My bedroom has the huge futon storage closet thing, a mirror, and large dresser thing. The living room has a tiny tv stand (complete with a number of VHSs of bad movies) and a couch that sits on the floor (in the sense that you are only about an inch or two off the ground when you sit on it. My personal favorite part of my living room is the set of two little square folding tables. One is white and the other is a sassy red (Dan picked them out). I have decided that I need a bookshelf because I am tired of storing books in the closet.

Anyway, I am glad that the weekend is coming up soon (as in 1.75 hours). This is the weekend of stuff done on the cheap since everyone is running low on funding. Last week Sunday, Zac and I went on a hike. It was crazy intense, and I felt bad because I thought I was holding him back (he`s in much better shape than I am). The mountain overlooks Hidaka city and we could see major landmarks like our respective schools, our apartment and the grocery store we all frequent. I would not be surprised if plans for this weekend include a return to the mountain.

In un-related news, my internet box thing is on it`s way from Yahoo, so hopefully I`ll be connected at home in a week or so. Hooray!

No comments: